Thursday, April 03, 2008

Your face here?

There’s a somewhat disconcerting practice in many African countries – and probably elsewhere in the world – to create (and wear) fabrics that feature repeating patterns of politicians’ faces. I suppose in principle it’s no different than a Barack Obama t-shirt – or, for that matter, a New Kids on the Block bed sheet, which I am proud to say I did NOT own, but which were quite popular in my pre-teen years – but it still always strikes me as a bit funny.

Imagine someone walking down the street, dressed head-to-toe in a gown or pantsuit made from Democratic- or Republican-inspired fabric, with dozens of Senator Hillary Clintons or President George Bushes peering out from every bit of the body. Makes you cringe, doesn't it?

In an effort to embrace and perhaps understand this cultural practice, I went to the market a few weeks ago and bought myself a length of Ernest Bai Koroma (President of Sierra Leone) fabric. Here I am in a makeshift dress, with the President staring jauntily from my hip. What do you think?


4 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Ro said...

You don't know how HAPPY I am that I just found your blog!

I was in Freetown working interning with IOM from September 07 through January 08, and I was looking for pictures to show friends how chaotic the presidential inauguration was (which I attended, too!), and I stumbled on your site. I can't wait to follow your travels and remain updated while I wait to return, hopefully in June 2009.

And yes, I sympathize with the Ernest Bai Koroma cloth. I was always a bit shocked by how robotically loyal some Saloneans were to their leaders. I guess it's typical in every country...

Please feel free to e-mail me at rojomello@gmail.com if you want. I kept a blog on my experiences, too, but have shut it down since returning in January.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.